Dyslexia is a learning disorder that involves difficulty reading due to problems identifying speech sounds and learning how they relate to letters and words (decoding). Also called reading disability, dyslexia affects areas of the brain that process language.
However, it must be noted that a person with dyslexia does not have compromised intelligence. It just presents reading challenges. Children with dyslexia:
- Take extra time with reading, writing and spelling
- Read and write slowly & incorrectly.
- Get easily confused with the order of letters in words
- Put letters the wrong way (e.g. writing “d” instead of “b”)
- Have a poor or inconsistent spelling
Types of dyslexia
- Primary Dyslexia: inherited genetically from parents where children experience difficulties processing sounds, letters and numbers, which negatively impacts on a child’s abilities in spelling, reading and math.
- Secondary/Developmental Dyslexia: Experiencing dyslexic symptoms due to poor nutrition or brain development in the womb
- Phonological Dyslexia: the inability to decode words based on sounds.
- Surface Dyslexia: when they take longer to process language and inability to pronounce certain words correctly.
- Visual Dyslexia: problems with visual processing and remembering words
- Trauma Dyslexia (or Acquired Dyslexia): Brain trauma that may cause children and adults with dyslexia.
Treatment for dyslexia
It is best to identify and treat your child with dyslexia early. Early intervention is critical to allow kids with learning disabilities to understand the right way of spelling, reading and writing.
For parents who feel their child’s reading, writing and spelling are not up to the standard of their age, screening and assessment should be done early so that they can seek medical advice for the child if necessary.
Here at Lazurus Centre, we want to give you all the information and resources to be aware of the processes that go behind the treatment of dyslexia. Depending on the type of dyslexia, our medical therapists will finetune the treatment to allow maximum learning.
To be diagnosed with dyslexia, we will conduct an evaluation that includes a variety of tests like:
- vision test
- hearing test
- reading test
- psychological tests
- questionnaires about your lifestyle or work life
At Lazarus Centre, we offer a few treatments to allow kids with dyslexia to better understand letters and words. Our reading specialists aim to enhance affected children of their reading skills and the ability to recognise matching letters. Some of the skills we inculcate in our programme includes:
- Multi-sensory instruction in decoding skills
- Repetition and review of skills
- Teaching kids decoding skills
- Drilling sight words
- Teaching comprehension strategies which teach kids to derive meaning from what they are learning to read
If you wish to find out more about the dyslexic treatments we offer, please contact us at +65 9176 4837